Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The importance of having text alerts set up on your cell phone. When you're Blind or visually impaired.

I want to talk to you about the importance of having text alerts set up on your cell phone. When you're blind or visually impaired.

Now in this digital age we are stepping away from cash and using credit cards and debit cards more. 

With a credit card or debit card it makes it easier for those of us who are blind or visually impaired to go out and purchase items. We just have to remember which card is which and our pin number.

But when you have a credit card or debit card you do not know exactly how much money you have every second because it is not in your hand just like cash would be.  So you need a Way to  track your spending habits. 


 This is what I do personally to keep track of my bank account. I have text alerts turned on for my debit card and credit card for my bank account. Every time I swipe my credit card or debit card I get a text telling me where I swiped it and for how much. It helps me keep track of how much I spent and where I spent it.

Some people may find it annoying to have a ding every time they use their credit card or debit card. But I have a story to tell you, I hope it will encourage you to seriously consider turning on text alerts.

Last week I got a text alert for $.97 on my credit card. But I did not swipe my credit card anywhere that day for any amount.  So I called my bank and asked about the purchase. They said it was a test. People will swipe your card number for a small amount to find out if that card is active. If you do not catch it in time they will swipe you for a larger amount once they discovered that first transaction was able to go all the way through. If it wasn't for my text alerts I would not have been aware of that swipe until I logged into my bank account the next day. 

Luckily I was able to catch it within two minutes of the punched in the same day. The only negative impact for me is I have to wait for my new credit card to come in the mail. But I'd rather wait 5 to 7 days for a new card. Instead of worrying about a huge credit card bill bill.

So to those who are blind and visually impaired I strongly recommend that you turn on text alerts on your bank account so you're aware of all and any transactions that happen on your account. It may save you one day from a huge problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment